Advertisement

West Ham United head into their penultimate fixture of the season against Manchester United with boss David Moyes potentially missing eight first-team players.

The Hammers’ Premier League status was officially confirmed for another year following their 2-0 win over Leicester City on Saturday and Southampton’s 1-1 draw with Everton that evening.

However, the Irons, who have been riddled by injury throughout the campaign, could be without eight regulars as the Red Devils visit the London Stadium in the first of two back-to-back home games for the east Londoners.

Former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez will not get the chance to feature against his old side after being ruled out with a knee injury, while Michail Antonio and James Collins (both hamstring), Winston Reid and Pedro Obiang (both knee-ligament damage) and Sam Byram (ankle) are all absent.

Meanwhile, on-loan Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart (illness) and the club’s Player of the Year, Marko Arnautovic (knock) have also been labelled as doubts, although there is a possibility the paring could be available for Moyes’ selection come Thursday.

However, ahead of the visit from Jose Mourinho’s men, the Scot, who tasted relegation from the Premier League with Sunderland last season, revealed his pleasure that the club’s top-flight future does not hang on their final two matches.

“That (Everton 1-1 Southampton) result helped obviously, but the biggest result was ours”, the Hammers boss told Sky Sports. “I always wanted it to be done by us.

“I probably expected it to go to the last week of the season. I always thought that these two homes games, we might have to win one of them to stay up.”

Although West Ham now know which league they will be in next season, Moyes’ future is still uncertain – with the 55-year-old’s contract when he was appointed in November last year only running until the end of this season.

But the London Stadium hot seat holder is prepared to wait until after Sunday’s showdown with Everton before holding talks with the club’s owners.

“We have always said that we will talk after the end of the season. We will wait,” Moyes added.

“It was always the way I wanted it, and I won’t change my views until after we’ve got the two games out of the way.

“We’re putting in place all the things you would expect – the pre-season, as much as we can. Ultimately I’ve got a decision to make and so has the club.”

Despite Moyes leading the Irons to Premier League safety this season, large portions of the Hammers’ support are not in favour of the former Manchester United manager leading the way next year, and a change in the dugout this summer would come as little surprise.

Advertisement