West Ham United striker Javier Hernandez has admitted that he wanted to leave the club in January – but is now committed to the Hammers cause.
Speculation over the Mexican forward’s future at the London Stadium was rife and there were seemingly no shortage of suitors interested in the Irons centre forward.
However, with Andre Ayew and Diafra Sakho both leaving West Ham in the January transfer window, David Moyes could not afford to allow Hernandez to depart also.
Chicharito has stated that a lack of regular Hammers playing time was the reason for his decision but that he was focused on the task at hand after staying in London.
“Yes, it was the case that I wanted to go,” the West Ham striker told The Mirror.
“Not because I don’t like West Ham, but because I need to have minutes on the pitch.
“The World Cup is just around the corner and I want to play. But you can see that, even though my agent says I want to go, I have been doing everything I can in a West Ham shirt to help the team.”
Injuries to Manuel Lanzini, Marko Arnautovic and Andy Carroll mean that Hernandez has been granted his wish and started the last three West Ham games in all competitions.
After coming off the bench to strike against Bournemouth last month, the Mexican was also on the Hammers scoresheet on Saturday – netting a consolation in the 3-1 defeat to Brighton.
It remains to be seen how much Moyes rates Hernandez, with potential for the predatory forward to be back on the bench once Arnautovic and Lanzini return to availability.